.

Friday, November 11, 2016

My Battle with Language Barriers

When I insure the term wording, the commencement word that comes to mind is acceptance. If ane speaks a language, he leave alone bond and intertwine with the fit community. If thinking in ground of a metaphor, ones language is nigh like a embarkation pass that allows one to poster the plane of his community. I however, boarded the defile plane, and ended up in the American community. To my concourse, I am known as an ABC. well-nigh know these earn as the introductory three letters of the alphabet. I however, perceive them as an acronym for American Born Chinese. some(prenominal) my parents are native Chinese, in epoch I was raised in a white, American town, went to an American public school, had American friends, and some importantly, spoke the American language of English. My parents had a hard magazine learning Chinese, so in turn, they seldom strayed from the American glossa while I was increase up in outrank to ease my linguistic learning. Their election helped make my English to a greater extent profound, however, this profundity for English came with a lack of acceptance from people I would always encounter.\nI vividly remember my first experience of Chinese culture. It was the pass of 2002 at a BBQ. I tagged along with my parents, as they wanted to meet their friends. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by people who fast resembled me. They had my same eyes, skin color, and were of the same, broken stature. I felt at ease until their mouths opened. All of a sudden, jumbles of gibberish spewed out of their small openings. With this notion, I was thrust into a world of babble and confusion, where the exactly words that made sniff out were my own. That day has forever been plant in my memory. It was the first time I came into contact with something that wasnt familiar to me. The foreign community affright me, and made me feel alone. It was as if someone had sent me to that BBQ as a punishment for cosmos an ABC. When one doesnt b elong, he yearns for acceptance. I yearned for acceptance from my...

No comments:

Post a Comment